Monday, November 13, 2006

Oh Rats!!


This past Friday the kids did not have school. Ken was at a ministry conference and wouldn't be back until late Saturday night. I wasn't looking forward to spending the whole day alone with the kids so I called a girlfriend to see if she wanted to hang out. We went over to her house for lunch and a visit. The first thing the kids wanted to do was see their pet rats (oh boy...). It was NOT my intention to leave there with any of these creatures, but I soon discoverd how tame and gentle they are. I decided to adopt one for Rachel and then soon chose to add another so they could entertain one another. After researching, I realized that was a good idea. So, now we have two adorable baby rats (who will someday grow up and possibly not be as adorable, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it). They are both boys. Rachel's is named Domino due to the black and white coloring (although you can't see any white in the picture). Mine and Aaron's is called Scotch (due to the butterscotch coloring). However, Aaron calls his Snow...
Rats are suppose to be better than hamsters and Guinea Pigs because they do not bite and they are not active at night. They are also extremely intelligent, can do tricks, and come when they are called. We will work on some of this fun stuff.
Yesterday we took them out and let them run around in a maze we made out of blocks. Then we let them explore Rachel's doll house. They liked it a lot. The kids are home sick with fevers and cold sympoms today so I'm going to bring the "BOYZ" down for a visit. Rats are incredibly social and love to be around people so I think they'll enjoy it.
Speaking of a visit... They will probably be joining us for our visit up north at the end of this week so that they can get the socialization that is so important to them. So, some of you will get to meet them - whether you like it or not!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Those rats would probably get lots of attention here at our house in Mexico. Joseph is SOOO into caring for things. We have fish right now and have been looking into getting a dog. Problem is, don't know how Joseph will react in the way of allergies - maybe rats are the ticket :-)
Love reading your post . . Kelly

Lora said...

I used to have a pet rat! I loved her and she would curl up on your lap and watch television. Good luck with the two critters!